Text

The Continuing Misadventures of a 40K Noob

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cheating: How, and, more importantly, why?

I don't know how many people have followed the possible cheating imbroglio from Adepticon ( videos here ), but to me I think people may have pulled the accusation out a bit early.

The link above has three videos for you to watch and decide on what you think. I, myself, being a noob to the 40K scene, can't really say much of anything one way or another. You may take a look and see something my noobish eyes didn't pick up, but that really isn't the point of this post.

Why would someone cheat at what is, essentially, a game at day's end. I just can't think of any good reason to cheat, even if it was the finals at Adepticon. It's just not that important to me. Would any of the three or four people who read this blog consider cheating? As a new player I'd like to think I'm going to get a fair shake in a game. I'm here to learn, and someone cheating would be a real turn off to just about any player, new or otherwise.

A second thought comes with these accusations. Did the accuser pull the trigger on these accusations a bit soon? I saw a post coming approximately 4 hours or so after the tournament ended with accusations of cheating, and those smelled somewhat of sour grapes. The responses were divided with people lined up on both sides based on how they felt personally about the player involved. I saw one comment claiming the accused was using rigged dice. All this with no evidence presented at the time. That accusation seems completely out of line, with the accused tried and found guilty without any evidence at the time. If you're going to make that type of accusation you damned well better have some rock solid evidence to back it up.

So, why cheat? And why make the accusations so soon?

I think this whole fiasco makes everyone involved look bad, and gives the 40K community a bad name.

A note: I have taken the advice given to me by the guys who commented on my painting, and things really have started to look better. I'll post some shots of my most recent builds, a tactical squad, another Dreadnaught, and an assault squad. Using the tips you guys gave me produced some great results. And now any vehicle painting tips you have for me on the Predator and Razorback I just finished building I'd be most appreciative.

2 comments:

  1. Some people cheat just to win. Prizes also come into play. The bigger the prize the bigger the incentive. All the shown things could be explained away as not knowing the rules, sloppy movement due to trying to play fast, and forgotten roster changes but taken together they make you question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been putting off painting a Razorback for a few months because the large flat panels all over it intimidate me. It seems impossible to get a nice smooth finish on the paint.

    ReplyDelete